1950s Purple and Red Plaid Check Classic Shirtwaister Dress, 38in Bust
You really can't beat a classic 1950s shirtwaister, and one in a bold check is even more special! This dress was certainly loved in its past, as it needed some quite extensive repair work, but now it is ready for the next adventure. Made from a soft cotton, it is great for summer and autumn with the purple, red and green tones, giving you a darker palette to play with. The fit is perfect 1950s, with the tighter bodice, prim fold down collar and full skirt, that could take a full petticoat easily underneath, all finished with the fold back pointed sleeve detail. Charming and feminine, this dress deserves to be loved again by someone who loves their vintage with a touch of history.
• Classic check in purple and red, with white, mustard and bottle green
• Pointed fold down collar
• Short, almost capped sleeves with fold back triangular cuffs
• Bust and waist darts for a fitted bodice
• Midi length skirt with gathered waist
• Button down front with piped button holes, hook and eye under one collar
• Fastens with a metal zip to the side, Lightening brand
• Made from a light weight soft cotton
• No labels
• This dress has been heavily restored and repaired, but it is in a very wearable condition. Extra darts have been added to the busts to repair rips to the underarms. The fold back cuffs on the sleeves have been top stitched to help keep them in place. There are a few pin head sized pulls to the fabric, namely on the sleeve cuffs, a couple on the skirt and one on the bodice. These are not holes. There is some prior stitch holes to the waist where believe there may have been belt loops. This is a very wearable wonderful dress but please be aware that it is not in perfect condition. All faults shown in images.
• Care/composition: None
Shown with a small petticoat underneath, not included
Bust: 38in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 44.5in with 2in hem
Shoulder to Shoulder: 14in approx
Shoulder to Waist: 15in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1950s Grey Striped Semi Sheer Cotton Shirtwaister with Removable Frill, by Maybar Jack Equire, 43in Bust
1950s Semi Sheer Aqua Blue Organza Dress, by Debby Rose of California, 37in Bust