1950s Dusky Red Long Sleeve British Red Cross Nurse Uniform Dress with Voluntary Aid Badge, 40in Bust
The perfect dress for the vintage uniform loving woman, or perhaps someone who partakes in vintage reenactment groups. Quite a rare piece, this 1950s British Red Cross nurses uniform is wonderful, because although utilitarian it is such a flattering dress. The quaint little pen pocket and the patch is the only details that give away its previous life; the small curved collar, the fitted bodice and the slight A-line skirt is so easy to wear. The red almost seems too bright to have been in a hospital, but in normal life it is a great colour for Autumn!
• Dusky red uniform - I imagine this was a brighter red at the time but has faded from the washing
• Small rounded fold over collar, quite high neckline
• Pen pocket to one side, V.A Detachment First Aid & Nursing badge sewn to the other
• Two large pockets to the hips
• Slight fitted design with A-line skirt
• Long sleeves with darts to the elbow for ease of movement and poppers to the cuff
• Made from mid-weight crisp cotton
• Fastens using buttons to the front - these are plastic Bristish Red Cross buttons with shanks and loops to the back - this allowed for the buttons to be removed and the garment to be boil washed
• Unlined with overlocked seams - work wear of older decades were often seamed in this was for longevity
• Size label and British Red Cross supply department at the back of the neck - Red Cross HQ is still at the Grosvenor address!
• There is a fade line and a line of old hem stitch holes where the skirt was previously taken up. There is also a little all over fading due to use, but this is not massively noticeable. The hoops at the back the buttons are a little rusty from previous storage but as these are original, I chose not to replace them.
• Care/composition: no labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 36in (with no extra hem)
Sleeve length: 21.5in
Shoulder to Shoulder: 14.5in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.