1940s Forest Green Double Button Woolen Coat, 40in Bust
Who doesn't adore a great forest green coat?! From the 1940s, this coat does indeed show many signs of being a true make do and mend loved item, but this does not make it any less beautiful. The substantial shoulders, loose knee length fit with back belt and the wide collar are all classics of the 40s aesthetic, perfect for those who frequent the many events in the vintage calendar. But this colour makes it just as desirable to anyone wanting a traditional coat in a more eye catching hue. With it being a looser over coat fit, you can layer up nicely underneath with ease, but you may not need to as the wool is a thick and substantial. If you like your vintage perfect, this may not be the coat for you, but do not let it's faults put you off as it has many more years of being fabulous left in it.
• Beautiful vibrant forest green colour, closest to the full length photos
• Wide notched fold over collar
• Small button under the collar to allow you to fasten the coat all the way to the neck
• Large shoulder pads to give the wide 40s look
• Knee length
• Fastens with two large green buttons to the front - I do not believe these to be original
• Loose 'overcoat' style
• Pockets to the sides with arrow shaped seams to the outside
• Faux belt to the back
• Made from a heavy weight wool, with a slight boiled wool feel but with a longer texture
• Lined in a lilac grey fabric. feels a little like a rayon blend, that has some discolouration
• No brand labels
• The coat is not perfect, but is still full of plenty of life and charm. Originally, the buttons were vertical, but this has been changed with new button holes and the original buttons holes have been sewn up. There are a couple of areas of wear to the wool, mainly to the pocket edges and the sleeve edges, a small hole near the hem, and a patch of grazing to the edge of the front, which is actually hidden when the coat is done up. There is a slight discoloration to the shoulder. The lining has a couple of holes, two tears sewn up, the arm holes have been repaired and there is some damage to the hem. The hem edge was badly damaged, so it has been encased in green fabric which blends it with the outer. All shown in photos.
• Care/composition: no labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Shoulder to Shoulder: 14in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1970s Chestnut Brown and Black Swirl Velvet Long Coat, 40in Bust
1980s Cornflower Blue Mohair Blend Asymmetric Coat, by Jaeger, 44in Bust