1960s Jewel Purple Ecclesiastical Clergy Lent and Advent Vestment Cape, One Size
If you want vintage that very few people have, this may well be your thing! From the very early 1960s, this is a cape or chasuble worn by priests during religious services, and a very funky priest they were indeed! Religious garments have always been opulent and this purple cape, although plain in comparison to many ecclesiastical garments, still has the air of grace and spirituality. The weight of the fabric makes this a very warm cape, and really would make a great layer in the colder months. If you wanted your cape a little more fitted, you can use the stole as a belt to cinch in the fabric or tie it round your neck to keep any cold out.
• Rich jewel purple colour
• It is my understanding that the purple chasuble was reserved for special Church holiday sermons, such as Lent and Advent
• Three lines of white embroidered thread to the front and back
• Matching stole with pink cross embroidered to the back - this can be worn as intended or as a belt
• Full circle of fabric used, so this has wonderful weight and drape
• Fastens using a metal zip to the side, Elcair brand, and slips over the head - Eclair has been used by high end fashion houses for decades
• Made from a mid weight woven cotton
• Lined in a white silky acetate
• No labels
• There is a very small pull on the shoulder, and there are a couple of holes and a rip to the lining under the scarf. There are spots to the lining of the cape, which looks like the colour has bled, and there has been colour bleed on the neckline from previous washing. There is also a very minimal colour change round the neckline. All shown in photos.
• Care/composition: no labels
One Size - cape measures 43in from zip to front edge
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1960s Bright Green and Pink Psychedelic Print Silk Shift Dress, by Colin Glascoe, 41in Bust
1960s Light Blue Silk Chiffon Crepe Tiered Mini Dress, by Jane and Jane, Early Jean Muir, 34in Bust