1950s Grey and Black Velvet Trimmed New Look Style Faux Peplum Suit, by Diana Warren, 24in Waist
Do you wish you could have that Dior New Look suit from the late 1940s? Well, this suit is as close as you are going to get without selling a kidney! From the very early 1950s, this wonderful monochrome suit from Diana Warren has all the hallmarks of the New Look style; wide shoulders, extreme nipped waist, exaggerated hips and full skirt. The black velvet trim really focuses the eye on on those wonderful design features and with the hidden buttons, the look is sleek and high end. The light weight fabric and subtle grey hue would work all year round and allow you to jazz it up with brighter colours, should you want. Just make sure you are poised and ready for turning some heads when you wear this suit!
• Amazing 'New Look' style hourglass silhouette
• Small rounded fold down collar in matching black fabric
• Fastens using buttons to the front which are hidden under the placket for a sleek look, with the edge hemmed with black velvet
• Amazing darting to the bust and waist for a proper fitted bust and waist
• Faux peplums to the hips created by folded back fabric, edged in black velvet
• Black velvet faux belt to the back
• Long sleeves with fold up rounded cuffs, edged in black velvet
• Structured wide shoulders with large shoulder pads inside
• Interior of the jacket has cotton binding ribbon to the waist to help nip you in and hold the jacket together
• Skirt is beautifully flared and full, with darts for a tight fit to the waist
• Skirt fastens with a metal Aero zip to the side and a hook an eye to the band. There is grosgrain band to the inside of the waistband, and cotton webbing band to the outside.
• Made from what feels like a mid-weight cotton gaberdine fabric that has a white and black waft and weft creating the grey tone
• Diana Warren Blackpool label to the jacket, with 'Michelle' label hidden underneath, with size label to the skirt. Diana Warren was a boutique that stocked high end pieces by brands such as Dior, but were well known for taking the brand labels out and replacing with their own.
• There are a few marks to the suit that look like small rust stains: a couple of marks to the right shoulder, marks to the left bust, four marks to the skirt, a couple to one sleeve. There was also come pulling to the darts on the skirt, a repair to the band of the skirt and slight depression and blue marks where there was once poppers for closure. All shown in photos. The marks are not really noticeable unless under really bright light.
• Care/composition: No labels
Jacket Bust: 37in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Shoulder to shoulder: 15in
Shoulder to waist: 15in
Skirt Waist: 24in
Length: 28in no hem
Waist to hip: 9.5in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1970s Navy Draped Kaftan with Red Poppy Embroidery, by Ronald Joyce, 42in Bust Max