1950s Cobalt Blue Short Sleeve British Red Cross Nurse Uniform Dress, 40in Bust
Was £85 - Save £40!
The perfect dress for the vintage uniform loving woman, or perhaps someone who partakes in vintage reenactment groups. Quite a rare piece, this 1950s British Red Cross nurses uniform is wonderful, because although utilitarian it is such a flattering dress. The quaint little pen pocket is the only details that give away its previous life; the small curved collar, the fitted bodice and the slight A-line skirt is so easy to wear. The blue is a classic nurse uniform colour, a colour that is still seen now, however it is such a flattering hue that it would be great for Summer!
• Cobalt blue uniform - I imagine this was a deeper blue at the time but has faded from the washing
• Small rounded fold over collar, quite high neckline
• Pen pocket to one side
• Two large pockets to the hips
• Slight fitted design with A-line skirt
• Short sleeves that can be worn long or folded back to have a cuff
• Made from mid-weight crisp cotton
• Fastens using buttons to the front - these are plastic Bristish Red Cross buttons with shanks and loops to the back - this allowed for the buttons to be removed and the garment to be boil washed
• Unlined with overlocked seams - work wear of older decades were often seamed in this was for longevity
• Size label and British Red Cross supply department at the back of the neck - Red Cross HQ is still at the Grosvenor address!
• There is a fade line and a line of old hem stitch holes where the skirt was previously taken up. The hoops at the back the buttons are a little rusty from previous storage but as these are original, I chose not to replace them. There is a little overall fade from use but this is not really noticeable. There is a small stain below one bust, and one to the back; the one at the back appears to be a rust stain from the button hoops.
• Care/composition: no labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 40.5in (with no extra hem)
Sleeve length: 8.5in folded. 10in full
Shoulder to Shoulder: 14.5in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.