1950s Cobalt Blue Short Sleeve British Red Cross Nurse Uniform Dress, 40in Bust
Was £85 - Save £40!
The perfect dress for the vintage uniform loving woman, or perhaps someone who partakes in vintage reenactment groups. Quite a rare piece, this 1950s British Red Cross nurses uniform is wonderful, because although utilitarian it is such a flattering dress. The quaint little pen pocket is the only details that give away its previous life; the small curved collar, the fitted bodice and the slight A-line skirt is so easy to wear. The blue is a classic nurse uniform colour, a colour that is still seen now, however it is such a flattering hue that it would be great for Summer!
• Cobalt blue uniform - I imagine this was a deeper blue at the time but has faded from the washing
• Small rounded fold over collar, quite high neckline
• Pen pocket to one side
• Two large pockets to the hips
• Slight fitted design with A-line skirt
• Short sleeves that can be worn long or folded back to have a cuff
• Made from mid-weight crisp cotton
• Fastens using buttons to the front - these are plastic Bristish Red Cross buttons with shanks and loops to the back - this allowed for the buttons to be removed and the garment to be boil washed
• Unlined with overlocked seams - work wear of older decades were often seamed in this was for longevity
• Size label and British Red Cross supply department at the back of the neck - Red Cross HQ is still at the Grosvenor address!
• There is a fade line and a line of old hem stitch holes where the skirt was previously taken up. The hoops at the back the buttons are a little rusty from previous storage but as these are original, I chose not to replace them. There is a little overall fade from use but this is not really noticeable. There is a small stain below one bust, and one to the back; the one at the back appears to be a rust stain from the button hoops.
• Care/composition: no labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 40.5in (with no extra hem)
Sleeve length: 8.5in folded. 10in full
Shoulder to Shoulder: 14.5in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1950s Pink, Tan and Blue Striped Cream Brushed Cotton Shirt, by Wentworth, 44in Chest