1950s Black Satin Fleece Lined Chrysanthemum House Coat, 50in Bust
It often surprises me how stylish vintage lounge wear is compared to the modern options, and this is by no means an exception! Made in the 1950s from black satin with a luxurious shine, it is covered with beautiful large chrysanthemums in pinks and reds. The dropped shoulders lead to a full trapeze cut with ballooned sleeves, all designed to be super comfortable and allow easy movement. The best bit is the inside, which sounds mad when the outside is so wonderful, but the back of the fabric is made from a soft fleece like fabric which will keep you very snuggly and warm. Although this housecoat is more 1950s in manufacture, I wonder if the fabric is from an earlier era as the style of the flowers appear a little more deco than mid century. No matter how old this jacket is, it seems a shame to keep something so beautiful indoors, so it would make a wonderful loose fit layer when the temperature drops and you want to look stylish without compromising on staying warm.
• Jet black satin with red, pink and white large chrysanthemums offset with bright green leaves
• Homemade but to a high standard - I believe this may have originally been made as a maternity housecoat due to the drape
• Long sleeves with a tight cuff but full balloon sleeves
• Tie to the neck that fastens with a black button
• Dropped shoulder yolk
• Gathers underneath the dropped shoulder yolk
• Loose, trapeze style
• Fastens using black plastic buttons to the front
• Hanging loop to back of the neck, on the outside
• Large pocket to one side
• Made from mid-weight black satin, which has a soft fleecy feel back to the fabric. This is not a lining but produced this way.
• There are a couple of stitches loose on the bottom hem, and the stitches from the sewn hem are slightly visible from the outside. The buttons are also a little scratched. All very minor, shown in photos
• Care/composition: No labels
Bust: 50in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 35.5in with 3in extra hem
Shoulder to shoulder: 16in approx
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.