1940s Navy Scalloped Edge Beaded Silk Blouse, 40in Bust
Beautiful navy silk blouse with the most wonderful scalloped Peter Pan collar and edging. The shine to this fabric is lovely and catches the light as you move, and does not need excessive decoration. The small white beads to the cuffs add a little lightness to the blouse, and lifts the plain blue fabric perfectly. Wear tucked into a skirt or high waist trousers, or loose as a jacket, and perhaps add more white and some red for a nautical nod. Although this has been hand made, it has been done to a high standard. I believe this to have been made in the 1940s, however, it may well be older than this.
• Scalloped round Peter Pan collar
• Scalloped edge to the button placket
• This appears to be handmade, due to the stitching on the inside, and the selvage of the original fabric
• Hip length - I wonder if this used to be a longer smock or a dress, as the original hem has different stitches to the inside seams. I had to re-hem the top as the edges had frayed slightly.
• Loose fit with no darts
• Elbow length sleeves with a turn up, and edged in small white seed beads
• False, self covered buttons to the front
• Fastens using hooks and eyes under the false buttons
• Made from a light-weight silk, that feels a bit like a dupion silk - colour is closest to the full length photos
• No labels
• There is a rub and small hole to the back of the neck (hidden by the collar), and to the back by the waist where it looks like something was once sewn. There are a couple of holes near the hem on the back, and the cuffs are not sewn evenly. All shown in the photos.
• Care/composition: No labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Shoulder to Shoulder: 13.5in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment.
Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1940s Blue and Grey Scalloped Edge Sleeveless Housecoat Dress, by Joyce Lane, 39in Bust
1940s Slate Grey Blazer with Scalloped Edge Pockets, by Ritaville, 40in Bust