1940s Midnight Velvet Dress with Burn Out Velvet Yolk and Stud Details, 40in Bust
Where do I even start with this beautiful 1940s dress? Deeply dark midnight blue velvet topped with a delicate burnt out leaf pattern velvet and oh so fabulous brass studs nestled in the folds of some super size smocking. Oh, and it is from Germany in the very early 1940s. I mean, just look at it! This is a stunning dress, so flattering and elegant, an amazing piece to add to your collection.
• Delicate navy blue burnt out velvet bust and back yolk with leaf patterns
• Small blue buttons and loops to the back of the neck, with a popper
• High neckline with the low cut sheer panel to the centre
• Smocking detail to the busts with brass coloured studs, which creates a fullness to the bust
• Elbow length sleeves with smocking and stud details
• Slight A-line skirt
• Slight fitted waist that could be cinched with a sash
• Made from a mid weight soft silk velvet - midnight blue colour is closest to the full length photos
• Fastens using metal zip to the side, ZIPP brand, DRP Nurnburg to back - I have dated this to Germany in the very early 1940s
• There are no areas of crushing to the velvet, but velvet is hard to photograph and magnifies any change in pile
• There is a small pin head hole on the front of the bust, and there is some pulling and slight thread separation to some of the burnt out velvet at the back. It looks more from stress from wear rather than shredding. There is also a couple of studs missing from the sleeves. All shown in photos.
• Care/composition: No labels
Bust: 40in (armpit to armpit doubled)
Length: 39.5in with 3in hem
Shoulder to Waist: 14.5in
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 15in
We advise paying close attention to the actual measurements of the garment. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
We Also Recommend
1970s Navy Draped Kaftan with Red Poppy Embroidery, by Ronald Joyce, 42in Bust Max